Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Final Countdown

Today marks 6 weeks since the surgery.  Wow! Considering some of the days along the way seemed like the longest of my life, I can't believe how fast the time has gone by.  The goal of this week is to check all the final boxes and get the green lights to get back to normal.

I checked the first one this morning with my Cardiologist. He took me off sternal precautions which means I can drive again, lift more than 8 lbs, bend down and lift my arms above my head again. The kids shouldn't jump on me and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't vacuum or do too much housework again just yet, but otherwise, I'm good to go. This is a huge milestone and relief!!

The next 2 boxes should be checked on Thursday when I have a chest x-ray and meet with my surgeon. There is still a risk and some concern there may be a little fluid in my chest cavity that I've been battling. I'm hopeful that if there is, it won't be a big deal, but we'll find out for sure on Thursday.

With that, my plan is to return to work next Monday.  I'm supposed to ease back into things for a few weeks so I can monitor my energy levels, especially while going to Rehab 3x/week.  But for the most part, I should be good to go. 

Overall, I'm happy with each step towards normalcy. I feel like I've been an observer in watching my body heal for so long, and now I'm becoming an actual participant and have more control over things again.

Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Great news! And, yes, don't rush back into vacuuming any sooner than need be!

    ReplyDelete