Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 2

Tomorrow will officially be 2 weeks post-surgery.  Everyone has suggested that I take the recovery day-by-day since there will be many highs and lows.  But I think looking back week-by-week is even better.  It's just like kids, you don't know how much they are changing when you see them every day.  So while I haven't necessarily felt daily improvements, I can definitely see and feel weekly improvement!


We'll just skip past the first 6 days in the hospital.  It was long and hard and just an unbelievable experience. I'll never forget it or the people involved.


Now that I've been home for a week, I've had the fortune to be completely pampered and doted upon by my parents and hubby the whole time. I even had a friend send me a bell to ring in case no one is around when I need something.  The boys think it's an awesome new toy, much to Rob's dismay - ha!


In the last week, I can see significant improvement in my ability to get up and down and move around.  Little things like getting dressed are still kind of hard, but taking a shower doesn't wear me as much as it did. And best of all, I had increasing energy as the week went on to even have some short outings - to watch Jonas' swim class, go to a matinee movie and a drive up to Port Gamble for lunch. All of those would have been impossible a week earlier.  I've learned to knit and have started a scarf, finished my first book (Swimming to Antarctica - highly recommended), done lots of breathing exercises and walks around the house, played some WWF, watched fairly limited TV and been online only enough to feel connected with people.  Looking back now, it was a good week all in all.


Now it's time for some goals for the week ahead.  More work on the scarf, find a new book, see more friends, have a few more outings - doctor's appointment, lunch with a friend, more swim classes and maybe even tackling something on the to-do list like organizing our photos. 


I would also like to start accepting some of the offers we've had for help along the way as my folks (and all of their amazing help!) are heading out tomorrow.  We still have quite a few weeks ahead where I'm going to be useless in ways of "helping" around the house - cleaning, cooking, taking care of kids. While I am definitely feeling better, I'm not feeling that well yet!!


Life is indeed good.

2 comments:

  1. Great news that you're seeing so much progress in such a short span. Looking forward to reading more good news.

    Book recos
    fiction: Pete Hamill - "Snow in August"
    non-fiction: Barbara Demick - "Nothing to Envy; Ordinary Lives in North Korea"

    Let me know when I can bring some beer over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vida,
    Do you need any Starbucks K-cups? Let me know when a good day is for a visit.

    ReplyDelete